Friday, September 9, 2011

A Beautiful Distraction

Following Labor Day this week, I returned to work at Oconee County High School. It's a great school and I love my job, but it's been a tough week. Though I teach British Literature, 9th grade Literature and Composition, and Yearbook, all I could think about was this:


Wednesday at church, I lasted only about 10 minutes in the adult class before going to the nursery to retrieve Evie and hold her for the rest of class. I know hundreds-- thousands-- millions of women have returned to work post-baby, but the week was tougher than I thought it would be.
All I could think about was this:



In other news, Evie turned 6 WEEKS OLD this week! Friends and family often comment about how little she is, but we think she's just the opposite. Watching her grow and develop from a brand newborn to now is incredible. She follows people with her eyes, reacts to sounds, has a growing collection of facial expressions, and watches ceiling fans with fascination. Evie is also very strong. She lifts her head, kicks hard, can scoot a little on her tummy, and has rolled from her back to tummy at least twice. Really? Can little ones like Evie do that?

We like to think she is so smart/strong/advanced because she has been living in the Baker house. I'm sure her genes have a lot to do with it, too. We have known Lauren to be pretty smart/strong/advanced too. At least Evie's living up to her nature and nurture!

Also this week, our great friends at St. Mary's put together a celebration and shower for Evie. Therapists, nurses, nurse techs, and doctors who have known and worked with us for the last sixteen months came to meet Evie and share in the very happy end to a painful story. Who knew that two of Athens' most successful neurologists would spend their Thursday evening ooh-ing and ahh-ing over little Evie! I will include pictures soon.

This coming weekend, we wrap up our Shower Season with one last party given by Brad's sister Peyton and our great friends Jeannie and Ashley. Look for pictures and the play-by-play coming soon!

Until then, so that you won't be distracted from work, play, and life, here's a little something for you to think about as I have all week:

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment